Re: [MV] Stryker and thee 500lb bomb

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 09:32:00 PDT

Hello Ryan,

>Have you read CB's blog?

I'm having trouble loading the link right now, but I'm sure its the same
one I'm thinking of. A very interesting read for any reason, but
specifically about Stryker in use.

As for a picture of that Stryker that survived the 500lb bomb blast, a
treadhead friend of mine sent this:

<http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/military_photos_2004101123.asp>

I think it is interesting to speculate on the physics involved. Perhaps
the fact that it was able to roll with the punch, so to speak, allowed it
to sustain less damage than if it had "stood its ground" as a heavier AFV
might have. In any case, it is impressive that it was able to withstand
this punishment and (supposedly) still drive away. Without meaning to
imply other vehicles in our inventory are crap or inferior to Styker, I
doubt a tracked vehicle would have been able to do that simply because
the chances of both tracks remaining in functional condition is extremely
low IMHO.

Steve