Re: (MV) Breaking beads down

From: Movnmanj1@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 22:58:59 PDT

    If the tire is that old, no doubt it is bound by rust to the rim. There is a good chance that the rim is not serviceable. However, the easiest way is to put the wheel back on the vehicle, remove valve core( if you have not already done so) and drive the vehicle back and forth several feet and the bead will loosen right up. If, for some obscure reason, this is not possible, then go to a tire service supplier or heavy truck parts dealer, and get you a bucket of Murphy's Tire Mounting Compound. Mix per instructions, lay wheel down and saturate it thoroughly around the bead. May take several hours, could take several days. Depends on the severity of the rust. As to the hydraulic jack theory, the wall of the tire will roll over and the jack will slip out, sometimes with a good deal of force. If you prefer that method, then lay a 4x4 or 4x6 under each side of the tire, and then put a 2" thick plank or steel plate over the center of the rim to put the jack on. This will give you a flat surface for your jack. But, I don't think you will have a lot of success. Been breaking down lock rings since I was 16, and have learned the hard way. Save yourself some grief and use the first solution.
    Also, THOROUGHLY inspect the rim and lock ring before reassembling it. If you have never done this before, perhaps it would be wise to take it to a heavy truck tire service company and let them remount it. Not trying to insult your intellingence, just concerned. These things can be killing machines, if you don't know what to look for. Yes, I'm qualified to say that, because I have had the lock ring experience and lived to tell about it.

Thanks,
John
Thanks,
John