Interesting Generator project....Vegetable oil

From: Caleb Pal - MilVeh (m1009@defcon-3.net)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 23:06:07 PDT

Hello all,

This isn't very MV related, but it isn't election/kerry/bush related, so I
hope some people can shed some ideas on my project. Ok, so since my project
to convert a M35A2 to run on vegetable oil was turned down by the school and
the financial comittee, even though I would pay the $500 for the M35A2, they
disaproved it. So I found a small diesel engine on the bottom of a "Refer"
tractor trailer that powers the cooler. Its in a cage on the bottom with a
150 gallon round diesel tank for fuel. The guy is letting me have the unit,
so I am going to drop it onto a trailer, and convert this sucker to run on
straght vegetable oil. It has about 2200 hours on it, which seems kind of
high? I don't think it was run hard, just a steady rpm for a long amount of
time. Any suggestions there? I was thinking of pulling the ac compressor off
of it, and hooking a 12v alternator up to it. I think its a 4 cyl diesel
engine, so a little overkill for just running an alternator, but it sould do
the trick. I think right now its bolted right up to the compressor, so I
will need to figure out a way to get a pully on the shaft or whatever is on
the end of the engine. I need to get a manufacturer name and some stuff off
the engine and the whole unit tomarrow, but if anyone has any ideas or
suggestions, they are more than welcome. Its a pretty good sized engine, the
starter looks to be almost the size of a small block chevy, started by 2 6v
battereies wired in sieres. the idea is that I have a backup system with a
600 watt inverter for all of my servers, and with this I can have the
alternator charge the 2 deep cycle 6v batteries for a longer power outage,
and could run it to save on the power bill if the vegetable oil is free. MV
content, I was thinking about using a CUCV alternator I have here, off of a
M1008 when it was converted to 12v. I think it was over-voltaging? What
would fry in the alternator to cause this? The inverter at full load should
pull about 60 amps DC, so that alternator should be able to keep up. Maybe
even 2 or a bigger generator would be a good idea. Trying to keep the cost
low. Dropping this thing and getting it on a trailer should be fun, looks
like it wieghts a ton.... So again, any ideas, flames or otherwise are
welcome!

Caleb