Re: [MV] Highway truck scales

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 15:06:16 PST

I was travelling in my 8500# Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins pickup on a portion of
the N Y State Thruway (in Westchester County, if I remember correctly) and I
saw a sign that said "ALL TRUCKS MUST USE THIS TOLL BOOTH"

It was a toll booth that required only "trucks" (their wording) to stop and
pay. Passenger cars and (presumably) motorcycles, did not need to stop. I
pulled in, amongst a long line of trucks, and received, variously, looks,
dirty looks, laughter and derision. (What else, considering the source?)

The subtle message that was explained to me was that my truck was not a
truck. I explained that I had stopped so that no-one with a gun and
handcuffs would chase me, because that makes me nervous. I asked them if
they thought I was driving a car or a motorcycle. They didn't want to persue
the conversation, so I left.

I have seen signs, with only a pictograph of a 10,000# box truck with the
red diagonal line through the picture. Does that mean pick-ups are allowed?
18-wheelers allowed? Dunno.

On the Long Island Parkway system, the signs say "Passenger Cars Only"
Here's what's actually allowed: Cars, motorcycles, vans with seats and
windows, RV's, pick-up trucks under (I think) 5000#. Also allowed, are cars
with commercial plates, but with no advertising showing. Therefore, a Chevy
POS coupe from the Telephone Company, with passenger plates and with the
Verizon logo, is PROHIBITED, but the same car with commercial plates,
without a logo, is allowed.

On the (connecting) New York City parkways, no vehicle with a commercial
plate is allowed, PERIOD. As one travels westbound on a Nassau County
parkway, in a passenger car with commercial plates, the vehicle suddenly
becomes illegal, as the driver crosses the city line.

On the New Jersey Turnpike, some toll booth lanes say "Cars only". My 8500#
pickup is allowed through those tool booths, for the purposes of paying the
toll, but upon entering the turnpike at the northern end where there are
car-only lanes and car/truck lanes, I can only use the car/truck lanes.

The (NJ) Garden State Parkway signs say "Passenger Cars Only" but my big
8500# Dodge is allowed, as are motorcycles and small trucks. Is a motorcycle
a passenger car? If you think so, then try to drive one legally with a
passenger car license.

On New York City streets, every commercial vehicle MUST display in PERMANENT
3" high letters, the name of the owner, the address, and the telephone
number. My pickup is registered as a commercial vehicle, but not THAT KIND
of commercial vehicle that engages in "commerce". I can get a parking ticket
and get towed ($250 fine) if I am parked otherwise legally, but without the
3" high letters. Magnetic signs don't count.

I have long thought that traffic signs should correlate with what the morons
in control actually mean. The laws should be re-written to indicate, with,
say, a one-out-of-26-letter code, with a distinctive shape and color,
exactly what THEY think WE are driving.

For instance, passenger car = Circle/Red A.
Pick-up under 8500# = Square/Green B.
Truck up to 18,000# = Triangle/Yellow C.
Truck 18,001# and over = Inverted Triangle/Orange D
Motorcycle = Diamond/Blue M.
Historical Military Vehicle = Olive Drab Star with Oak Leaf Cluster and a
BIG RED "ONE" (You saw that one coming, right?)

Etc.

The signs should have a distinctive, universal location on them, (for
instance, the upper left-hand corner for ALLOWED, and the lower left corner
for PROHIBITED) that has a row of colored symbols, each with a letter,
indicating EXACTLY what type of vehicle the government means. Finally, to
end any possible confusion, the vehicle's registration sticker, front and
rear plate, and wallet card should also bear the same symbol. If the
vehicle's windshield sticker (visible to the driver) matches any of the row
of symbols on the sign, then the driver knows it's OK to be there. It's so
simple that even a child could figure it out. But our various Commissar's of
Motor Vehicles can't seem to come up with a plan to end the confusion.

apb