RE: [MV] registration and laws

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 09:08:04 PST

Do you honestly expect the police officer to have memorized all the Vehicle Codes, even the obscure ones covering MVs? There's too much for any one person to know. He sees a vehicle without plates, and thinks he's doing his job and pulls it over. The Texas MV registration, while seems like a dream to some of us, can also seem like a lie when you're telling it to a cop. I don't want to appear if as if I'm taking the cop's side, because I've had problems with overzealous police here in CA, and take precautions now.

It's a bit late at this point, but I'll recommend this again: Keep a copy all your registration, insurance, and applicable laws (Vehicle Codes, Demilled gun laws, etc) in a large zip-lock plastic bag in your glove box. It keeps it clean, dry, and orderly for when something like this happens. Even if you're an expert in TX registration, People are far more likely to trust a piece of paper than a person's word. It makes the difference between an inconvenient stop, or a drawn-out paperwork battle.

Aaron Horrocks
ARG, CAA, Mopar Alley, & MVCC Member
1952 M38A1
1970 Plymouth