Re: [MV] M35 Mater cylinder in a CCKW

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 05:45:00 PST

Mike,

I would take the CCKW master cylinder to a long established auto parts store, and ask to see their
"Buyer's Guide" from the brake parts distributor they use. I think the master cylinder in a CCKW
was originally made by Lockheed. The brand name has now changed to Wagner-Lockheed or perhaps just
Wagner. The buyer's guide will allow you to match the old master cylinder with a photo of the
current product. If you know the original part number there should be a cross reference index.
There may also be a cross reference for the casting number.

But I think the best way to "replace" your master cylinder, assuming you have an original, and want
to keep your truck original, would be to send it to White Post Restorations in Virginia and have
them rebuild it. At least have them resleeve it with brass. Last one they resleeved for me, many
years ago, cost me $42.00 plus about $16.00 for the kit and $5 or 6 for shipping. At that time the
new replacement from the buyer's guide had a list price of $87.00. You can find White Post
Restorations on the internet with a Google search. They will be most helpful.

And if you have an original master cylinder, don't just throw it away... pass it on to another
owner who will perhaps someday use it in a restoration.

Claude