Re: [MV] UniMoggin

From: Bob Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 15:34:50 PST

Hi George,

The Mog axles have a cult following among
offroaders. The 404 and 416 style axles, as well
as the newer U1300 "banjo" housings, are popular
because of the steep reduction, factory cable
lockers, and clearance from the portal ends. They
are undesirable because of difficulty of disk
brake conversions, bolt pattern and wheel size
requirements (often an issue but easily solved
with custom wheels), and the pinion conversion.

This last point is the biggest sticking point for
the mogs. You need to chop that impossibly long
splined pinion and machine a threaded end to use
a pinion retainer nut, and then you also need to
have (basically) a pinion seal retainer that will
bolt to the area around the pinion bearing on the
mog axle (where the torque tube would normally
bolt up).

So, while although the M37 isn't the best
recipient for the Mog axle (IMO), the Mog is a
great axle donor for big tire projects. Indeed,
because of the reduced torque requirements posed
by the torque multiplication of the portal ends,
people are swapping out the centersecton for
things like Ford 9" and Toyota 8" centerchunks,
even for BIG rubber (14r20 comes to mind).

Cheers
Bob, shameless gearwhore and axle visionary

--- "Baker, George R. - Eastman"