Rules for Property Pickup (M146 Shop Trailer Adventure)

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 15:31:04 PST

Well gang, here are a few steadfast rules one should stick by when picking up
property at unmaned GL sites. Background, yesterday I went to Camp Blanding
(FL NG HQ) to pick up the M146 shop trailer. The trailer had no landing gear
and was nose down in the dirt.
1) These guys will NOT help you. They must have told me that 20 times in
spite of the fact I told them I was self sufficient. Once I had access, I did my
thing without delay.
2) Don't assume anything will go as you plan. I must have been around that
reservation 4 times going to buildings that didn't exist or following bad
directions. Once I found the right guy, the trailer was at the opposite end of the
reservation. Took another 1/2 hr to find somebody to babysit me while a loaded.
3) Don't arrive on site with only 1/4 tank of fuel. See those Jerry Can
mounts, use them, trust me. With as many trips as I made around base I was easily
able to use up all my fuel. At 20 miles from nowhere significant, this became
a problem. Went as far as I could and when I ran dry I was still 12 miles from
nowhere. After and hour of pondering my situation, I managed to contact an
unselfish Deputy Sheriif who transported me to the closest supply of fuel and
waited as I bought 4 gas cans and 5 gallons of diesel, then took me back. Once
running I went right back to the same station and got my due supply of fuel.
(Note to self, add extra can mount, fill both cans before flight and consider
them reserve)
4) No matter how nice things look, don't assume they can be operated to any
extent. This trailer had no tail lights. I figured that I might be able to bolt
on some temp lighting and plug it right in. NOT! The NG had mutilated the
wiring beyond recognition. Fortunately, I did rig a temporary light bar and was
able to put that together in spite of the fact that I left all my solderless
terminals at home. Brake parts? Haha, there wasn't any brake parts left outside
the drum. Glad its a light trailer.
Synopsis; The M146 at 7330# tows like it isnt there. The single axle
configuration was a dream. The cannibals at the NG reservation stripped of almost
anything they could. All lights including marker lights, Master cylinder and
brake chamber, relay valve, landing gear, shore cable, rubber donuts from
gladhands, tire chocks and everything. Buying a semi trailer is always an adventure
since you never know whats in the back. I ended up with a new stack for the
deuce, some shackles, 5 ton aircleaner housing some small parts and oh yeah, a 28
Volt 1.5 HP pump with an explosionproof motor. Has a NATO slave on it and
looks nice. Has camlocks on suction and discharge. The body on this trailer is
real nice for a 1961 but every single inside light was taken. I think this one
is going on the ground as storage for now but it tows so nice who knows. I'll
have a few pics of the beast tomorrow!
Kenny