Re: [MV] FMTV was Re: [MV] M35A3 closed at $45,949.00

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 15:09:29 PST

Hi Dave,

>The scariest part of the Pinzgauer 710s (and 712 less so) are their drum
>brakes due to the the short wheelbase and the nature of drum brakes being
>affected by almost anything to cause them to brake unevenly and go
>squirrelly. The disc brakes of the 716 Turbo Diesels Pinzes pretty much
>eliminate any worries, especially off road after a river crossing. :^)

This is why I tend to avoid driving my Pinz in "weather". Instead I use
my '97 GMC pickup which has all the bells and whistles on it. Sure, it
isn't a cute looking green thing, but cute looking green things rolled
over and smashed up cease to be all that cute :-) Reminds me of the
discussion years ago on this list about M37 brakes and NDTs going down
hill in the rain. I think one owner said he always scoped out the best
place to crash if he wound up having a choice.

>I can appreciate the scaryness of the "legs forward" on the mule... but
>think of the the trauma of driving a Haflinger in the "urban jungle" of Los
>Angeles, where the "bush" is moving at you. 8^0

I live out in the sticks, so my big worry is hitting a 1000 lb "bush"
with antlers :-)

>For those that have never seen a Haflinger.... imagine a Pinzgauer about the
>same size as a mule, capable of 50mph and street legal. :)

Haflingers are neat, but too big for the smallest jobs (like a Kraka or
MULE can do), too small for pretty much anything else considering a Pinz
or Unimog could do it better. No slight on the Haflinger... it's just
not hard to see why the design concept didn't catch on.

Steve