Re: [MV] FMTV was Re: [MV] M35A3 closed at $45,949.00

From: David Dunn (dunn_d@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 16:48:35 PST

Hi Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Grammont" <islander@midmaine.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] FMTV was Re: [MV] M35A3 closed at $45,949.00

> Haflingers are neat, but too big for the smallest jobs (like a Kraka or
> MULE can do), too small for pretty much anything else considering a Pinz
> or Unimog could do it better.

You cannot make a comparison of a Haffy with a Pinz or Unimog..... it is
most compareable to a Mule. I brought my Haffy home in the back of my Dodge
Ram ( only 8" outside the tailgate, and tires between the wheel wells). The
basic Haflinger 700 has a 53" x 112" rail to rail footprint with a useable
cargo bed of 50" x 60" without infringing into the driver's area, its only
3" wider than a Mule, and 6" shorter ( with leg basket).

The 710 Pinz is more compareable to a LR 109 ( both 15" wider than a Haf),
and a Mog is as wide as a full size US pickup.

> No slight on the Haflinger... it's just
> not hard to see why the design concept didn't catch on.

Considering that the Haflingers were made from 1958 to 1974 and over 16,600
made, they had caught on, and lived a productive life. And at the time that
production ended, SDP had plans for a new "H2", but as development got
involved with Mercedes, it ended up as what we know as the G Wagon.

Dave Dunn