Re: [MV] FMTV/New US MULE

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 08:59:15 PST

Hi John,

>FWIW, seems there are two sides to every opinion!

Or when it comes to lawyers, three sides :-) Yeah, trying to figure out
if something in military service is "cutting the mustard" is very, very
difficult to do anecdotally. More often than not you wind up with a
small handful on both sides saying the exact opposite thing. That means
we have to wait for some sort of higher level report to come out

What I heard about the Gator is that it worked fine in some conditions
for some types of missions. Driving around base, for example, was A-OK.
 But trying to drive out into rough terrain was problematic. IIRC ground
clearance was one issue and top speed was another. However, perhaps this
was the "whiner" opinion and therefore not all that relevant. Though the
first link below seems to confirm that there is probably a better vehicle
out there than the Gator.

I searched the Web and only found this good article:

<http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/issues/2003/Jun/Military_Units.htm>

One fairly superficial article worth repeating:

<http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m-gator.htm>

The other links I found were pretty much PR pieces and therefore not of
much interest.

Anybody else know anything?

Steve