Re: [MV] FMTV/New US MULE

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 10:11:58 PST

Hi Ryan,

>One has to wonder why this with a newer engine (diesel) and some
>other minor changes wouldn't work well for the purpose.

I agree that it looks pretty good overall. Top speed is an issue and
apparently ground clearance was found to be insufficient for some
terrain. A new engine (and associated sub systems) and portal axles
might do the trick. Sounds like that is what the LUMES project is
supposed to be.

Reading some more, and between the lines, it looks like the GATOR is
considered an asset on today's battlefields. However, one has to keep in
mind that this thing is filling a void and therefore the troops are
judging in comparison to not having anything. Hardly a fair comparison :-)

It will be interesting to see what happens. Looks like small all terrain
vehicles will find their way back into widespread sooner rather than later.

Steve