Re: [MV] discussion on HUEY for sale

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 09:06:30 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "everette" <194cbteng@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 4:35 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] discussion on HUEY for sale

> I am not at all interested in owning a HUEY, enough troubles now.
>
> I am very unknowledgeable about these, -- will it have to be trucked away,
> is there some sort of "air worthiness" certificate???

They're long. 41-42 ft. long (less rotors) for the H model, and something
like 39 or so for the B/ C. Their dry weight is something like 4800 lbs
when they have all their optional accessories like...engines...and
seats..and instruments..and stuff, so the stripped weight's probably around
1700 lbs or so all-in for one like that California one (which I'm calling
Moby Dick.) Best guess anyhow. You have to watch where you sling them
when loading them onto railcars and what-not as operational critters
(probably because you need to keep the airframe stresses to those parts of
the aircraft built to handle them as a consequence of flight), but when
they're stripped out to the extent those ones are, I'm not sure it would
make much difference.

Some of the ones around carry FAA civilian registration even if they've
never received a civilian airworthiness certificate, where others have been
de-registered as "scrapped" or "destroyed" or what-have-you, or otherwise
are parts machines which just carry their military numbers/serial numbers
from birth. I'm not sure what sort of papwerwork you'd get off of GSA for a
41 ft. long helicopter-shaped paperweight but I would think if it carries an
N12345 number on the existing p/w, the FAA would be interested to know it's
changed hands regardless of the condition. Again, I'm guessing. It's
different in Canada. <shrug>

Lots of work for someone with lots of money. And a truck at least 41 ft.
long.