Re: [MV] Improvised armor for MV in Iraq

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 17:24:10 PST

As it so happens I heard Rumsfeld today being peppered with questions
from troops about why they are still driving around without adequate
armor. Rumsfeld stated that it was a matter of production and logistics
holding things up, not money or desire. I'm sure his answers made
everybody there feel all warm and fuzzy.

There was another tough question I heard, something like "I'm going on my
3rd involuntary extension of service, when can I go home?" and implying
that we no longer have an all volunteer armed forces. He dodged this
question rather poorly by simply restating what the Stop Loss order is
and that he feels it is unfortunate that it is needed. Since this was
the man that overruled the Army's troop projections prior to getting into
this war, and also the man that said all our troops would be out by this
past summer, I felt he had a moral responsibility to answer this
soldier's question straight on instead of dodging it like a cowardly
politician. Not his choice surprised me.

Steve