Re: [MV] Improvised armor for MV in Iraq

From: Jim Webster (james.webster@iomartdsl.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 15:40:23 PST

Bjorn Brandstedt wrote:
> How are IED's triggered? By remote control? Perhaps the signal can be
> jammed.

Currently most common in use are the

Wookee radio control unit (anyone know who makes this?)
Sega radio controlled car alarm
Qusan Wireless doorbell

These have hundreds of coded pulse permutations and are hard to jam.
Experience from Ulster showed that if you deployed a 'jammer' the
insurgents just figured out the range of the jammer and planted a linked
secondary device down the road at just about where you would be when
your 'jammer' came in range of the detector.

The car alarm device operation is obvious - how many times has your car
alarm gone off when your car has been parked on the road and a big truck
goes by?

Various pull-actuated devices -Impossible to jam and mainly used by
suicide bombers...

If anyone is really interested in this stuff I have images.

Mandatory MV content

Talking about protecting military vehicles from IEDs - you have to
remember that a lot of these are roadside devices rather than the odd
mine so you have to protect from the side rather than the bottom.
Protection can be the simplest stuff - I know this having survived a
300lb IED going off under a landrover fitted with fibreglass armour...
mind you we never found most of the armour afterwards it had simply
dissapeared in the explosion.

--
TTFN
Jim