Re: [MV] Improvised armor for MV in Iraq

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 12:52:50 PST

Hi Glenn,

>They are satisfied that it is a good countermeasure, but like
>everything else there will always be something that comes along that changes
>the balance.

Which is something everybody should keep in mind. Nothing, absolutely
nothing, is foolproof. That is true in general life but especially true
on the battlefield. No matter what counter measures are employed, the
bombings will continue and people (military and civilian) will be killed
and seriously maimed. This is as true in Israel as it is Iraq or Afghanistan.

The interesting thing is how various forces have worked around US/NATO
superiority of weapons, training, and organization. A relative handful
of Insurgents, for example, have killed and maimed far more "enemy"
soldiers, equipment, and support networks than the entire Iraqi Armed
Forces did (to say the least). This is a fairly effective counter
measure to the conventional force we, and other "1st world" nations,
field if the desired outcome is to stall progress, cause casualties, and
maintain influence over what happens locally.

It is not good enough to figure out a counter measure to the Insurgent's
current tactics. We instead need to figure out a way of defeating THEM
and not just their combat method de jour. Armor kits, jammers, eyes in
the sky, costly urban warfare, etc. aren't going to get us to there.
These people are fanatics and certainly won't give up even if we do trump
them on the battlefield. Instead they will likely come up with something
else to hit us with. At best counter measures can keep some more people
from getting killed/wounded while we figure out how to actually win the
peace.

Steve