Re: [MV] The future: In armour/camo

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 15:36:58 PST

Thanks for the links. Currently I have more invested in my camouflage
uniform collection than my 3 running and 9 parts MVs, so this is an
obvious area of interest of mine :-) The theory of a "Chameleon Suit"
has been around for some time, including the great portrayal of such a
suit in Predator. Every year we get closer and closer to making such a
suit happen, through one process or another, but I think a practical
(i.e. affordable and functional) suit is still a long ways off.
Hopefully they'll have replaced the new Army ACU long before then (like,
before they actually issue it!).

As for the British "FIST" design, though I don't know much about it I
think 2010 is rather optimistic. Predictions of future technologies
going from drawing board to general issue are more often than not way off
the mark. My rule of thumb is to take a prediction and double if it is
based on more or less currently available technology, triple it if it is
based on technology not currently available.

Steve