Re: [MV] How to fix exhaust manifold cracks

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 10:22:21 PST

Sometimes when you try to weld cast iron that has heat applied to it
such as and irons (sp?) for a fireplace ...you find that the good has
been burned out of the metal and when you heat it to the temperature to
weld...the parent metal just goes to oblivion. This applies to electric
and gas (accetylene) welding. The general accepted method to repair an
exhaust manifold (in my mind, if possible) is to use furnace cement. And
it will eventually crack...but maybe you could put a sheet metal band
around it like is on some generators to help prolong the repairs life.
Furnace cement is available at the better hardware stores...muffler
cement from the auto parts stores seems to be the same thing. At the
temperatures that a diesel engine runs...the manifold temps can get
pretty close to brass and bronzes melting temperatures...in my
opinion. Fred Martin