Re: [MV] tracked vehciles on city streets

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 21:38:20 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Robinson" <stalwart@mac.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 8:27 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] tracked vehciles on city streets

> > But even a light tank would be a very different issue. Certainly not
> > light... I saw a M41 Bulldog grind into a parking lot during a turn at
> > the first Salute to Victory Meet. Not pretty.
>
> Ah, that would be a very bad operator allowing the rubber pads to
> deteriorate to the point that the hard surface is no longer protected
> and he is still operating the vehicle. I've used up a new set of
> tracks (metal tracks w/rubber pads) on my Scorpion tank while operating
> exclusively on the roads. I'm estimating this wear is costing me about
> $10.00 per mile when the cost of tracks and shipping is figured in. I
> wish the pads weren't cast in and were replaceable . . .

I've had the M75 at work in a few turns which I wouldn't like to have
performed on some nice, hot, summer tarmac in someone's pristine
parking-lot. Despite the relatively low ground pressure I'm fairly sure the
friction itself on a harsh turn would soon start making a mess of the
asphalt, as I've even seen 5-ton P&D vans do it with tires even.

On a long-hardened city street though? Hm. Dunno. I didn't mark up the
street any when I tried a few things off the property - though the fate of
about 2 ft of concrete curbside is another story entirely... :)