Re: [MV] MV Cannablization

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 09:40:35 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron" <rojoha@adelphia.net>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 7:39 AM
Subject: [MV] MV Cannablization

> My memory of the discussion several months ago of this subject is a little
> fuzzy, but I seem to remember some REAL WORLD military type saying that
Cann
> points did not exist in the current military.
> Hmmmm.... if that is so, can he explain this....
>

> http://sill-www.army.mil/DOL/Billboard/10-01.doc

There's a huge one as you enter through the gates to Dr. Mo on Ft. Lewis,
WA, which is regularly the source of astonishment and disgust for those of
us who can't resist doing the grand tour around the perimeter on our way to
GL. A couple of weeks ago there were a bunch of M1009's, some M109's, most
of a 900-series wrecker, a good dozen HMMWV cargo and maxi-amb
configurations, I think an M113 TOW variant, a few HEMTT tanker-kinda things
and scores of other stuff large and small right down to generator/welder
trailers and the like. All in various states of vulture-picked
death-throes. Not pretty.

I can't remember the track of the conversation that took place here,
exactly, but I *think* it more concerned cannibalizing motor pool vehicles
classified as operational to keep another vehicle classified as operational
running; not so much salvage-diving into Can Point for the needed spares.
Could be wrong though, as I only read snippets here-and-there throughout.