Fwd: [MV] DEMIL Bill - info needed from 2 or 3 years back

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 10:41:05 PST

On Jan 28, 2005, at 11:04 AM, aussierob wrote:

> [4]Where these Bills were hidden ...I believe they were
> hidden inside a much larger group of legislation, all too secretly.

Unfortunately, this is standard practice in Congress to get funding for
"pork barrel" projects, restrict things that most people would object
to, allow things that most people would object to, give themselves pay
raises, etc. Usually these things are done in the middle of the night
and at the last minute so that few people are available to vote and
ever fewer even attempt to read everything that is in there. It is a
shameful way to run a government, but the tradition of slipping stuff
under the radar of scrutiny goes back probably to the founding of the
nation. No signs of this changing.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if this is how all legislatures work.

Steve