re: wiring etc 1028, other CUCV's

From: chris case (chriscase@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 11:25:19 PST

There is also a tan wire to one alternator. It connects directly to one out
put winding before the diodes. It is used as a tachometer sensor- I think it
pulses 16 or 24 times per alternator revolution. The big plug just below the
dash on these vehicles is a diagnostic plug, the tach lead ends up there
after going through a 'tach translator board' on the firewall.

Re: vacuum pumps on diesels- the only use on a cucv is for transmission
shifting. Funny how GM used a cable instead of vacuum, right up until they
came out with a small diesel that doesn't make vacuum, then they had to
invent the vacuum pump. I wonder if we can retrofit the cable kick down
system to our 86's? I'd guess the later stuff is computer controlled like
the newer cars. A stick diesel has no need for a vacuum pump.