Re: [MV] M-101 trailer crank jack

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 16:01:32 PST

    He doesn't.

    An element of risk here because these trailers were designed with the
thoughts of lots of idle hands hanging around waiting to assist the driver.
And it increases when you have a load in the trailer.

    3 (driver + 2 lifters) men minimum with standard folding support.
Especially the single swivel wheel(ed) support on the M105 series because
that puppy is HEAVY and awkward to fight with, especially if unused/unlubed
for a while. Shovels and or pry bars are sometimes necessary to release or
lift from/to locked position.

     3 men with a US type crank up jack/wheel because you may be too low to
swing it down to lock it or it was left extended when folded into the travel
position and the tongue needs to be lifted to drop the support as with the
non adjustable leg.

    2 men with the Canadian style side mounted pivot crank. (Can be done
with one in a pinch, see below)

    1 man for any trailer if you have time, chocks, working hand brakes on
the trailer and a high lift jack to get it off and if you have a good sense
of direction and 'spatial cognizance or can 'use the force' to back into an
open pintle/raised lunette without knocking the trailer bass ackwards. A
second high lift can be used on the back of the trailer more conveniently
than the rear 'steady' leg (if equipped) to keep the trailer from being set
back on it's tailgate.

    Under NO circumstances get any part of you above/or between the
vehicle/lunette when disconnecting a loaded trailer, especially if you
loaded it after you hitched up to the truck. There is no way to positively
KNOW that it is balanced or tongue heavy and could snap violently up when
the pintle is unlocked. There are several indicators to look for in how the
pintle/lunette is force loaded, but until you've done it a few times, safe
is better.

    The balance point on an unhitched trailer with out a rear stabilizer can
change instantly and dramatically as you move around in it or 'relocate' the
load while searching for something inside. As it tilts up and things start
to slide back you don't want to be part of the stuff trying to get into the
tailgate/ground interface cushion zone.

    Ronzo
    Trailer tipper overer, extraordinaire

    BTW... You ain't hitched 'til the cotter pin safety is in the pintle and
the chains are hooked. In the case of the 1.5 tonners, air lines hooked up
also. Sloppy means OSOFON......