Re: [MV] Vaccum test results ... re M151 mystery miss

From: Mil-Veh Co. (milveh@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 11:24:01 PST

(drum roll) Here is the vaccum test results!

(done with two vaccum guages just to be sure and I got
the same results on both so this is right)

V. gauge needle rides in red (meaning late ign timing)
@ 450-500 rpms and only goes to green on a fast idle
of about 850-900 rpms. Needle flicker is about 1/8 to
3/16th inch on the dial. Aha, needle flicker...thats
a clue!

Total vaccum draw runs about 15-16 inches, normal
should be around 20-22, right? Sooooo, guess what I
am going to have to do...uh, anybody got an intake
gasket for sale? lol (actually I been buying from
Saturn Surplus, they are about the best retail prices
I could find and they are in California, close)

Oh, almost forgot to tell you this part.... I
re-checked to see how the engine ran with the choke on
and yes, it appears it does run slightly better,
although its hard to tell on a cold engine as I only
ran it for about 2 minutes. But, I'll take this as
another clue for a vaccum leak...got to be in the
manifold right over number 2 or less likely I have to
say it still could be an obstruction. But, at least I
am getting it narrowed down now.

You wouldn't think a minor vaccum leak would make that
much difference to how it fires would you? That is IF
thats what it is and I think it is now. Also I've
seen a lot worse flicker on v gauges on engines that
ran better, but I guess symptoms act exaggerated on
little 4 bangers.

Q. Is there an interchange for the intake gasket to a
civilian type? Something I might find at a local auto
parts store. I think a Ford industrial engine seems
real similar to a Mutt engine, anybody know for sure?