Re: [MV] shop secutiry

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@atlanticbb.net)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 09:57:56 PST

Rick and anyone else interested,

The most obvious part I will not address which is the actual breaking into
your residence and alarms/cameras as I see that has been addressed already.

Some of the most important suggestions that I can make are:

PHOTOGRAPH all of your tools, workbenches, etc. and other valuables. You do
not have to have the serial numbers and model numbers of everything for the
insurance company but they will want to see photographs of everything. This
also works for other insurance claims.

Videotape works just as well if not better and you should be able to zoom in
on the serial/model numbers if needed.

This will make it a lot easier to get your stuff replaced in the event of
theft, fire or other loss as the insurance company will have proof of what
you are claiming as a loss.

Further, after the loss you may forget some of what you have until the next
time you need it and then it will be too late to report it as they will just
assume that you are now just trying to get more money out of them.

***********

Engrave your drivers license and name in anything that you can. NEVER use a
Social Security Number. I don't know if they still do it but several states
were using social security numbers for drivers license numbers but I
understand that that was in the process of being stopped. If your state
still uses the social security number than use a telephone number or even
your car registration number so law enforcement will have a way to trace the
property back to you if it is recovered after being stolen.

**********

Keep a list of the brand names, model numbers and serial numbers of whatever
you can. Give the list to law enforcement and another copy for your
insurance company if things get stolen.

**********

ALWAYS!!! Keep copies of everything for yourself. This includes the list
of numbers/descriptions, photographs and videotapes.

***********

Get DETAILED receipts for anything that you turn over to law enforcement and
to the insurance company.

***********

Been there, done that as they say ... 25 years as law enforcement and also
been a victim of theft. <sad but true>

*************

We are also in an area normally quiet. A couple of weeks ago we had a rash
of residential break-ins. I understand one lady had what she thought was
the ultimate anti-burglar system installed but it too failed her. Her State
Trooper husband was asleep in the house while the theft occurred and he
slept through it. Yep, forced entry and he did not hear it. As far as I
know the crooks have yet to be found.

Everyone have a wonderful and safe weekend, Bill K.
Bill Kealey

1982 Honda GL500Interstate
MVPA
1954 USMC M38A1 jeep
1972 USA M35A2 2-1/2 Ton " AM Gen" 6X6 Truck w/winch
1985 USAF M105A2 1-1/2 ton "Turtle" Trailer
1972 USA M35A2 AM Genersl 6X6 2-1.2 ton truck w/winch
1985 USAF M105A2 Turtle 1-1/2 ton trailer