Re: [MV] CUCV Glow Plugs

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 05:05:39 PST

At 22:44 02/21/05 -0500, you wrote:
>At 9:35 PM -0500 2/21/05, Chris Brunner wrote:
>>Now on this same note, could you remove the
>>resistor from the CUCV lines and switch to HMMWV
>>plugs running everything at 24v?
>
>But, you'll have to changing the timer for the
>warmup time, no? These things are basically like
>a light bulb, so, do they have the same wattage?

The answer is yes.
The timing sequence for the HMMWV is 9 seconds on, 7-15 seconds off 1 sec on.
This is about what I have seen and agrees with TM9-2320-387-24-1 Pg. 2-291
My only concern is the quality of the AC-15s and the WELLMAN subs for the
HMMWV.

My personal leanings, the original CUCV and HMMWV plugs are of an older
design.
I'm now running a set of AC-60s in the CUCV with the original setup.
They seem to work fine BUT they do draw 50% more current.
That means that they don't get as hot as they should. I don't notice it
till it gets below
about 10F. Have seen -30F this winter so far.
I'm installing an extra resistor to correct for that in parallel with the
existing 2.

Have had good luck with the WELLMAN subs, least with the CUCVs.

The moisture problem just floors me. Don't know what to say about that.
The only oddity I've come across, besides your truly, is the last set of
factory fresh
AC-13s. Had a bad capacitor on the timer card, kept them on a little too
long and popped
all 8. Funny, my old set of 13s took it fine.
Quality control was definitly lacking with them.

Like to try the KASCAR plugs, but again, I'll have to experiment with
something new.
I've not seen any meaningful specs on them, except that they are advertised
for 12V civi use.

Later,
Ted.