Re: [MV] CUCV Glow Plugs

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 10:10:01 PST

Here's the scoop:

     There are NO 6. 8, 12, 24 volt or whatever glow plugs. If you try to
find a specific voltage glowplug you will be a long time in looking! There
are no charts or spec sheets at any automotive store. What they do is put
12 volts across a (say) 8 volt glowplug for say 12 seconds. This makes them
heat much faster in a shorter period of time. This is known as "quick
start" systems. Granted all plugs have parameters BUT you will never know
them as they are specified for applications. It is in the timing of the
controller card that is important, not the voltage of the plugs.
Understanding this will make this easier to understand! Plugs are known as
"8G", "9G" or "10G" as these are a few of the types. I think CUCV's are
13G's but must have the 3/16" tabs on them. DO NOT and I REPEAT DO NOT take
plugs (that are specified for civvy engines) with 1/4" tabs and mill off a
little to make the 3/16" electrical plugs fit these!!! You will cook them
within 1 day and have a heck of a time getting them out. The tips swell out
before they burn out and will break off when trying to get them out.

     Someone on the list may have the article that I put out, (can't find it
at the moment) on this very subject and is a very easy system to
troubleshoot. You either have a bad relay or open plugs. If your glow plug
relay (GPR) looks like an "dimmer switch" (long snout type) replace it now
with a new one. A GPR109 from NAPA works just fine and will fit the
footprint. It is a Ford style, and you will have to find new nuts for the
terminals but will retrofit. Also to make a better starting system, connect
the feed of the relay to the 12 volt buss directly above the relay a taking
the red wire from the glowbar resistor and connecting it directly to that 12
volt buss.

     If anyone wants me to explain this system again and why you want to
change that red wire, let me know. Julian Burke