Re: [MV] Committing sacrilage to historic MV's

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 19:25:06 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mil-Veh Co." <milveh@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Committing sacrilage to historic MV's

> My final comment on this thread:
>
> Obviously when it's your MV you are free to do
> whatever you want for whatever the reason.
>
> Change the voltage, change the tires, put in high back
> seats, stereo system, etc. Just wouldn't try to
> convince a bunch of Military Vehicle collectors thats
> its really ok! ;)

I think of it all pretty much along the same lines as the various classes of
'restoration' when it comes to judging at MVPA events. Where you'd expect a
Fully Restored/Concours type restoration to have little 'F's soldered to all
the bolt-heads and the correct angle grease fittings, you might be inclined
to give a bit more leeway to the Combat Class vehicles whose owners elect to
strike a personal balance between historical accuracy and driveability.
While I can fully appreciate the efforts of that former class whenever I get
out to the shiny-paint-and-rope-stanchions sorts of displays, I can also
appreciate the efforts of those who actually *use* their vehicles to have
fun and *do* things and actually venture out among the great motoring
unwashed on anything like an equal footing. Rotating velvet-covered,
spotlit podiums and glass cases are all well and good, I suppose, but I can
practically guarantee you that most of the members of the hobby were
introduced to it through the efforts of the Combat Class collectors driving
around town and generous helpings of "Rat Patrol" as opposed to those
watching over the shoulders of carport curators soldering 'F's to the heads
of their GPW bolts and scrutinizing boxfulls of grease-fittings with the aid
of a protractor.

Everyone 'draws the line' in a different place in terms of modification too.
Most of the Combat Class veterans seem happy to use fan belts they can get
at NAPA and the odd 12V starter and generator in place of their 6V cousins,
but judging by Ebay, it seems some like chrome stacks and fuzzy dice too.
But again, that's where *I* draw the line. Others have their own standards.