Re: [MV] M151 Diff Q's

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 21:27:04 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Burke" <julian@knology.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:48 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] M151 Diff Q's

> The 1100 series were really not much better and they whined too. They
were
> not shimmed properly. I think Boyce Equipment can fix these and talk to
> Bret. Type in Boyce Equipment in your search engine as they have a neat
web
> site for military trucks. I think they can shim the old ones and make
them
> much quieter. Julian Burke

Agreed on the later-series diffs. One of our local club members spent
beaucoup bucks on his "quiet" differential only to find that the measurable
difference in relative noise level wasn't all that measurable in practise.
Some of our mob tried making rubber bushings and tried to install them as
vibration dampers betwixt frame and diff, but most of the guinea-pig
vehicles I've driven didn't seem to offer much by way of improvement. As
always - mileage varies.