Re: [MV] M35A2 Multifuel Runaway Concern.

From: Greg (czechsix@cox.net)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 12:49:16 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <avarvarigo@aol.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:52 AM
Subject: [MV] M35A2 Multifuel Runaway Concern.

> Hi all. This might be a boring and a bit long note but I just wanted to
> make sure that I understand correctly about the dangers of the above
> happening on a Deuce.
> To start, I have a Deuce multifuel non Turbo that has been running fine
> and it gets started every couple of weeks just to run it a bit even if
> I don't have the time to take it out on a short ride.
> Usually I do take it out even if around the neighborhood to let things
> circulate some.
> My Deuce is also maintained well, (I believe), with work done
> professionally, if needed.
> Originally when I got it I was, (as still am) very happy to have it,
> then some guys came about, sending
> notes on this list about the dangers of the split ring wheels and cases
> of people that really got hurt.
> At that point some fear / concern came over me and I asked my silly
> questions that were answered by
> you all, putting me at ease about the way they work.
> Well, I read my books, looked at my pictures and somewhere along the
> line the engine runaway came up and the recommendation of getting the
> h... out of the truck and run away, was suggested by the service
> manuals if it happens. Kinda tough to do when you live in an Urban
> environment, without somebody or something getting hurt.
> Also some notes and written material, again came to light with guys
> blocking the intake of the air filter housing and the hole in the back
> to suffocate the engine.
> Well, again since all ok here, I put it in the back of my head.
> However there were some recent notes with guys talking about the same
> thing again and making it sound quite scary and maybe something that
> could happen to anyone at anytime???
> What's the chances of a good running truck having the above happen?

Pretty much nil.....

> I mean, who has enough time, God forbid, something like this was to
> happen, to get out in the middle of a street, pop the hood open, get
> tools to loosen the mushroom, plug the holes and still be alive and dry.
> Any suggestions, thoughts or am I losing it?

If it's running don't worry about it. But...if you ever do get a runaway
during a start, believe me, you won't have time to get out of the truck, pop
the hood, loosen the mushroom, plug holes, etc. The runaways that I've dealt
with and helped with ramp up from 500 rpm to over 2500 in less than 2 or 3
seconds. No exaggeration. Which is why, when you're starting a truck that's
sat for years, you have someone standing by with a piece of plywood, and the
mushroom already pulled. There'll be no time for you to get out of the seat
and do it yourself..don't even try.

> I definitely don't want to let my truck go, but the idea of me or
> anyone around me getting hurt is not my idea of fun.

These trucks were made to deliver the goods in bad conditions, not
necessarily be the safest things out on the road, or the easiest to operate,
or the most comfortable to drive, etc. Not to mention the "lowest bidder
made them". This holds true for all military toys - they're definitely
bigger risks than whatever new Ford, Chevy or Dodge is out there, but then
again, for some of us, the joys of owning them outweigh the risks. As long
as you're mechanically competant, don't mind doing your own maintenance, and
don't drive that M-xxx series like a Honda Civic, you should be fine. Just
know their limitations. Let's just say they're not for the normal
driver.....

Have fun,
Greg