Re: [MV] Cost of petrol

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 12:10:51 PDT

At 1:49 PM -0500 4/7/05, Everette wrote:
>I hear the same story - and I admit I believe most of it - I did some
>research for a radio spot I was doing and found this item -- if you add up
>all known the oil reserves north of border with Mexico, subtract the tar
>sand fields in Canada, add in Alaska, it is not as much oil as one field in
>Saudi Arabia -- I am not seeking flames for this, if I am wrong I would like
>to know it.

The DOE says differently with regards to china.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/petroleum_supply_annual/psa_volume1/current/txt/table_28.txt

>I was not able to collect figures on refining capabilities, I did find the
>number 6 refinery in terms of capacity can do 340,000 barrels per day

We get most of our oil from here, Saudi, Canada, Mexico, the North Sea and Venezuela right?

>I also understand oil from Alaska is going to China, some to Japan, China
>refines it. I suppose Japan does also. I have been told it has too much
>sulfur for U S refineries... I would like someone to explain to me what
>difference it makes if sulfur is pumped into atmosphere here or in China
>either way the atmosphere is polluted by it.

IT doesn't but we prefer not to have as much sulfur in the air around our cities. The change in Diesel fuel's has also seen a similar change to low sulfer. The Military switch to JP5/8 over Diesel has also seen a requirement for lower sulfur content (Kerosene vs Distillates and such). Personally, I don't mind that we have lower sulfur content in our city air as Atlanta can get some pretty bad smog days. It does help that the buses are all LP now.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -