okay - where's your favorite military salvage yard?

From: Mike Davidsen (mike@aspirationsoftware.com)
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 06:40:26 PDT

Here's a poll/opinion/query whatever you want to call it. Just
interested in hearing where you all enjoy going to pull your own parts
for military vehicles. Anyone have a favorite salvage yard they love
travelling to in order to get the parts they need? Not so much
interested in standard vehicle parts dealers or surplus shops. Would
like to hear about those that have a yard to browse around in. Would
also love to see pictures of places as well, if anyone has links to the
sites.

I'll start out - love going up to Millersburg PA to Colemans Surplus -
Shawn Coleman is a savvy salesman, but he frequently gives me good deals
on salvaged items I pulled from his back 50 acres of surplus. Lots of
good radio gear and vehicle parts to go around. He also has 3
warehouses full of surplus and vehicle parts as well. He scrapped out a
lot of stuff the past 2 years after the price of steel went up, but most
of what went wasn't GI stuff anyways, or it was too far gone to save.
He has lots of CUCV parts trucks, M880s, 2.5 tonners, M915 and M920
tractors, more gensets than our Uncle Sam himself, etc. Only bitch I
have is that he used to be open on Sat, when it was convenient for me,
now I have to take off work on Friday to drive up. Also, down the road
was Saturn Surplus, who we all know is a good source for parts, and
about 3 years back they closed their doors on their retail store
altogether, now they do mail order and internet sales only. Shame...

Love to hear from more scroungers where you like to find your parts.

Mike