Re: [MV] Cost of petrol

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 17:53:44 PDT

I think the influence of the Greenies is overblown. The nukes died out
IMO because of some mistakes (3 mile Island,etc), which triggered
overburdening government regulation and the fact that there was an easy
way out - which was to go back to coal burning plants. We have more
coal than we know what to do with. Unforunately it is also some nasty
stuff.

If coal was not so readily available, or if the government eased the
unreasonable regulations facing new nuclear power plant construction,
Nukes would be making most of the electricity in this country. Until
that happens, Coal will be our source for electicity. We have something
like a 500 year supply of it at the current consumption rate.

Also, I believe that at around $3.00-$4.00/ gallon - the coversion of
coal to oil becomes economical. If price of oil continues to go up, I
predict some plants will be opening near the coal mines.

Dave