Re: [MV] Cost of petrol

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 16:48:38 PDT

Ryan Gill wrote:
> At 12:17 AM -0500 4/8/05, MV wrote:
>
>> Yep, the entire "drilling in Alaska is good for this country" thing is
>> load of crap. Drilling in Alaska is good for Alaskan's (no state tax
>> - they get a check). And it is good for big oil. So why does GWB want
>> to drill in Alaska??
>

> Its not that simple from things I've heard read and basically know about
> market economics. Are you going to tell a company that they can't export
> a product? Anwar was setup as an oil reserve way back when. It also
> worked as a nature preserve. Now the DOE and the Administration say
> drill there to tap that reserve.

I beg to differ, I think it is really that simple. If these Alakans
fields were to be developed to provide a national energy reserve for the
USA, I would be all for it. But it's going to be developed, pumped, and
sold at market value to benefit the stock holders of a couple of oil
companies. The US will get some small percentage as drilling rights and
that will be the end of it. Oil is a commodity, once in the system it
is graded and sold, no one cares were it came from.

>> Another fine example of this countries resources being sold off to
>> profit a few.
>

> Free Market. That's what we like.

Who is we?

>> I believe we are the number 1 exporter of scrap metal to China.
>> Wonder why steel prices are so high - China is buying up all of the
>> scrap and coke. Most of the timber harvested off the Pacific coast in
>> Alaska goes to Japan.
>

> Also keep in mind that refined steel we'd get from overseas (remember
> all the unions that drove domestic labor up so the plant's closed down
> in the rust belt?) is getting refined over in the Pac Rim in Korea and
> they're selling to the customers that are buying it.
>

>> It goes on and on. Your country's resources are being sold for
>> private profit and China and Japan are very happy about it. Will you
>> and I benefit from drilling in Alaska? Will the price of oil come
>> down? Will we be more secure? Nope.
>

> Buy the mine rights, develop the resource, sell the product. That's how
> it works here. Or do you want to nationalize private assets and say to
> hell with the 4th amendment?

You have it backwards. The oil under Alaska is a national resource.
They are privatizing a resouce owned by the citizens of the US.

National oil assets are owned by the citizens of the US, not the oil
companies.

China is not playing by the same rules that we do. They are not a
capitalistic society. Neither is Saudi Arabia.