Re: [MV] worst MV of all time

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 17:30:04 PDT

Very good. UNIX is a fine O/S, but I have the uptime beat. VMS on
my 'free' 12 year old DEC Alpha webserver/mail machine ran for
1623 days in a hands-off lights-out remote management situation
before an electrical failure in the machine cooked it. There's a
reason DEC had to change the uptime-days string length to four
digits in the early 80's.

Being without VMS and now relegated to PC's, I back up everything
to one 100GB drive, and then also to another one in a separate
machine in another building. very sad..

I could get a Mac for a "PC" but the $ is excessive. I think
windows is OK for home use, if you reboot frequently, but all my
important data really belongs on a VMS system.

I have a few Alphas sitting around, so it won't be long, I just
need to wait till the buyers come pick up the 'mainframe
collection' I've just sold, then I'll have some room to set them
up. I'm going to do a VMS cluster of 3 systems with mirrored
storage. The Alpha is a very fast RISC machine. A 300MHz Alpha
performs like a 1.2GHz Pentium (comparing NT4+office on both,
with the FX32! application code interpreter on the Alpha), except
for math, where the Alpha acts more like a 3GHz (comparing 'SETI
at home'). Used Alphas are cheap too, just check the evilplace.
They are not well known because it is, after all, a different
CPU, and not so mainstream as a Mac.

The 64-bit Alpha also runs WNT3/4 (most models), Linux, and
64-bit UNIX and all are supported by H/P.

The Tier-1 move to that 64-bit Intel abomination is not going
very well.. And why would it? While the Alpha processor has 64
registers, the Intel 'emulates' them in main memory! gag!!
(vomiting).. and it just gets more bletcherous..

I admit to being bigoted in regard to preference of computer and o/s.

Ok well I am way off topic and that's all on the subject from me
this time around.

MV content: I had installed a DEC Alpha and 16" CRT in the S280
shelter on the M35 for a while, and used it's xwindows (motif)
notepad program for logging State Guard radio traffic at an exercise.

PJ