Re: [MV] Vehicle titles in general.. - MS The saga continues....

From: Jeff Gatton (jdgatton@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 10:59:20 PDT

Thanks to the folks who responed to me with
advice/support. I know it's a futile effort trying to
get my $116.05 back, but if it ruffles someone's
feathers, it might be worth every penny. hehe

It might be worth a few laughs to forward this to GL
to see what their take on it is. Maybe I'll try
Senator Trent Lott next.....

Here is my e-mail to the Mississippi State Tax
Commission:

You cannot get a refund for Mississippi. If you show
them you paid it
at registration, I thought they might give you a
refund.
Patsy

>>> Jeff Gatton <jdgatton@yahoo.com> 4/28/2005
10:39:51 AM >>>
Patsy,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

GL is a large company that sells excess government
equipment and vehicles in probably every state. Their
main headquarters is in Arizona, but I bought this
vehicle from their office at Keesler AFB, in Biloxi,
MS. The invoice has their AZ address at the top. If
I could prove that I bought it from a MS office, would
I be able to get a refund from MS? They charge the
full rate sales tax from whatever state they are in,
no matter what the item is.

Others I know have tried to question GL about this
practice, but always get the big company, fine print
run-around.

Sincerely,

Jeff Gatton

--- "Patsy (Brown) Holeman"

--- Jeff Gatton <jdgatton@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> invoice didn't have the VIN on it.)
>
> So, I took the title bond and my invoice to the tag
> office, where I had to fill out another form
> swearing
> this and swearing that. The gal said I had to pay
> MS
> tax (5% on vehicles) since GL was an "out-of-state"
> dealer (Scottsdale, AZ). I tried showing her on the
> invoice where it said I paid 7% MS tax already. She
> asked if I had proof that GL paid that back to MS.
> Yeah right, like I have that.
>
> Hmmmmm, I wonder if the good folks at GL can provide
> me with the proof that they pay MS taxes, or
> reimburse
> me the 5% that I just paid to MS?
>
> All in all, I'm just happy to have a tag. Once I
> get
> a clean title, I'll be even happier.
>
> Jeff
> Saucier, MS
>

> --- Jeff Gatton <jdgatton@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm getting ready to title my M1008 that I never
> got
> > the SF97 for. Supposedly, in Mississippi, all you
> > need is a title bond (about $60) and the bill of
> > sale.
> > I'll post with the outcome when/if I'm done....
> >
> > Jeff Gatton
> > Saucier, MS
> >

> > --- MV <MV@dc9.tzo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the current status with titles in this
> > > country...?? I know
> > > that California was considering revoking some
> > titles
> > > cut after they
> > > found out about places like Broadway title. Did
> > > that actually happen?
> > >
> > > What about title acceptance in other states?
> > Where
> > > does bill of sale
> > > transfer still work? I know that Ohio is a real
> > > stickler about title
> > > transfers having dealt with an untitled boat
> from
> > > Kentucky about 10
> > > years ago. A $300 boat was going to cost me at
> > > least $500 to title,
> > > since a lawyer was required in Ohio to present
> the
> > > case to the judge.
> > > What a bunch of BS. I ended up bribing
> (literally
> > -
> > > cash up front) the
> > > last registered owner in Kentucky. 6 months,
> > $250,
> > > and about 40 hours
> > > of work laterI had a good title.
> > >
> > > I now live in Indiana and they seem more
> > reasonable,
> > > depending on the
> > > phase of the moon, who I am talking to, how busy
> > > they are, and on and on
> > >
> > > At one time, places like Broadway could fix
> title
> > > problems. It sounds
> > > like that no longer works for New Jersey at
> least.
> > >
> > > What have you guys seen in other states.
> > >
> > > Dave - with a couple of untitled vehicles..

=== message truncated ===