CUCV swollen glow plug removal - rear brakes locked up

From: Jeff Gatton (jdgatton@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 07 2005 - 04:05:46 PDT

I finally got all the swollen glow plugs out. I only
had to pull 3 of them out of the injector holes. The
pulling tool and air ratchet only worked on 1. Good
ol' vise grips and some wiggling/pulling/cussing
worked on the rest.

I bought the "super-duper" glow plugs from Kennedy
Diesel. They are actually Wellman 6A843G050. The tab
broke off one of them (cheap-ass spot weld) when I was
grinding it down to fit my connector.

The swollen ones I removed were Wellman 6A843G070.

After new glow plugs and a new glow plug relay, I'm
back on the road.

Another funny thing happened....I was doing about
35mph and hit a dip in the road, all of the sudden,
the whole truck was shaking and jumping. I think the
rear brakes/axle locked up on me. I stopped and got
out to see if my axle had fallen off or something, and
everything looked good....it drove fine after that. I
did smell some hot brakes/tires. I didn't try hitting
any dips in the road at that speed yet though. Has
anyone had a similar experience? I was thinking that
the rear proportion valve might have kicked in when I
hit that dip and locked up the breaks...

I just started driving this truck, so I'm still
learning his quirks.

Jeff Gatton
Saucier, MS

http://www.themotorpool.org/MP%20New%20Site/Completed%20Files/39-8.pdf

> The tool is under "Section 3-13, Tactical Trucks,
> HMMWV, Removal of
> swollen glow plugs". But if you don't tell the tool
> the glow plug is not in
> a 6.2l in a HMMWV, it will work fine.
> Or you can buy the GM trim tool.....

Yahoo! Mail Mobile