Re: [MV] {[MV] your papers, please

From: Convoy Magazine (convoymagazine@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 14:08:38 PDT

Unfortunately Steve,
with absolutely no flame intended, you've completely
missed my point(s)

The only thing I can agree with is your statement that
"technology is making it more focussed".

For example your statement' how does a "unified
drivers' license allow them to figure you're gay, or
jewish or....

Just as a theoretical example.. you're a reporter
assigned to cover a gay film fest... you pay with your
debit card, they scan your new digital ID to confirm
your identity.. and bingo
a permanent record of you visiting a gay
event..electronically accessible by any investigating
authority....who may draw whatever conclusions they
want..

Im definitely not "paranoid" as you allude, but Im
very definitely a realist and am fully aware of the
power of computers, computerized recording of all
kinds of info, and the potential to have all this
collated at some point in the future so that one will
have NO privacy in terms of movement,
purchases,possessions, sexual, political, and/or
religious tendencies..

And as to technological advances, one has only to read
Jane's defence weekly on a regular basis to get an
inkling of how far advanced military(and police)
technology is getting.
Remember the Stealth bomber was top top top secret
only a few years ago, now its at air shows.. which
means..they're already a couple of generations ahead
of that.

Ask someone high up in the military structure about
spy technology ability to read computers through
standard wiring, and/or why for example computers with
sensitive material must be positioned at least a yard
away from walls...but this is slightly off topic..

The point is..Im against it for civil liberty reasons,
and I think my reasons are fully justified..

And Yes complaining to your senator will have little
effect, but a million mosquito bites can kill an
elephant, and in any case "little" effect is better
than keeping silent which has "zero" effect.