Re: [MV] {[MV] your papers, please

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 19:50:46 PDT

> Unfortunately Steve,
> with absolutely no flame intended, you've completely
> missed my point(s)

Nope, I got it. I just don't see what the point is of getting so
worked up about this. It's inevitable. Been happening since the
beginning of Human civilization. Those in power wish to exercise more
power. Sometimes for the greater good, too often for the greater bad.
There is no way to stop it. Plus, it isn't all bad. When used
appropriately a lot of benefit can be had. It's fine to recognize the
bad in a system like this, but it is also small minded to not see any
good in it.

BTW, many driver's licenses already have magnetic strips on them with
critical information on it, all of them have had pictures for decades.

> Just as a theoretical example.. you're a reporter
> assigned to cover a gay film fest... you pay with your
> debit card, they scan your new digital ID to confirm
> your identity.. and bingo
> a permanent record of you visiting a gay
> event..electronically accessible by any investigating
> authority....who may draw whatever conclusions they
> want..

They can already do this. They can also monitor your phone, email, and
even activities within your house if they should so choose. The point
is that the authorities shouldn't be able to unless there is a valid
reason for it. Or put another way, the technology isn't the problem it
is the abuse of the technology that is.

> Im definitely not "paranoid" as you allude,

I was just pointing out that the opposite of naive is paranoid.
Nothing more.

> Ask someone high up in the military structure about
> spy technology ability to read computers through
> standard wiring, and/or why for example computers with
> sensitive material must be positioned at least a yard
> away from walls...but this is slightly off topic..

I don't have to ask someone high up... I heard a nice little
presentation about this stuff a few weeks ago in relation to finding
bad guys in Iraq. X-Ray vision is a (crude) reality BTW. Again...
technology knows nothing about right and wrong... only the users do.

> The point is..Im against it for civil liberty reasons,
> and I think my reasons are fully justified..

I'm against the misuse. Being against the technology is pointless
because there is no way to stop it. Plus, as stated, there are some
benefits that come with it.

> And Yes complaining to your senator will have little
> effect, but a million mosquito bites can kill an
> elephant, and in any case "little" effect is better
> than keeping silent which has "zero" effect.

Well, that's what I said when I voted against the current
administration (twice). Funny to see the same people that were going
on and on and on about Klinton taking away our civil liberties rush to
the booths to vote in the people that are ramming this stuff through.
Why aren't they so vocal now? Feeling betrayed, guilty, foolish, or
what? Guess it will be the Dem's fault in their eyes, even though
nearly all the Dems voted against this and all the Repubs for. Not
that it matters, each is as bad as the other when things are all boiled
down.

Steve