Re: [MV] Jeep vandilized

From: Jim Stead (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Sun May 15 2005 - 10:33:10 PDT

As Cliff already suggested, get a Police report made if you haven't already.
 The Police are more likely to get the tape, if there is one, than you are.
Walmart is interested in Walmart only, so doing something like giving you a
tape is sticking their neck out..something they have no reason to do. The
Police on the other hand have a working relationship with Walmart,
especially if they have a loss-prevention unit.
 Walk around the area, across the street, up hills, etc for other locations
that can see that Walmart lot. Ask those businesses about suveillance tapes,
even if you can't see cameras. Be sure to give a list of all those places to
the investigating officers. You may need to do that tactfully depending on
the cops you're dealing with, some might get offended....
 In all of those areas that can see the lot, post fliers about the Veteran's
vehicle that was damaged. Definitly work the Veteran angle. Include the
date, time range, and exact location of the jeep. Residents, employees, or
patrons may have information for you. Be sure to mention that *any*
information is valuable, and can be given anonymously. Put the Police number
on the fliers as well as yours.
  It's a good possibility that whoever did this doesn't like the military,
or is angry with the Iraq war, etc. Take a look around the area (including
inside walmart) for any type of pro-military/war/freedom/veterans displays.
Ask around to see if some hostile "anti" was there that day. Maybe you can
get a description of them. Does Walmart sell ribbons, flags, etc at the
checkout? If so, speak to all the checkout people working that day if you
can. Maybe someone said something negative about those things, or some kids
discussed how bad the war was or something to that effect. I'd go so far as
to drive down the road and see if there are any "pro" signs or anything like
that at local businesses. Pull in and ask those people if they remember
dealing with an "anti" that day. Any leads you get may help you find this
needle in a haystack, but at a minimum you'd be spreading the word. Be sure
to leave your phone number with everyone you speak to, just in case. You'd
be surprised how many people seem to remember something later on.
  I know this is a lot of legwork, but it's probably the only way if you're
serious about catching the person/people responsible. The cops aren't going
to be interested in putting this much work into a misdemeanor arrest either,
so don't be surprised if they drag their feet.
  Then again, maybe if you figure out who it is first, you won't tell the
Police.....

Jim