Re: [MV] MV's not allowed to participate in the Veteran's Day events locally

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 09:17:19 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry J. Fackovec" <HFackovec@EasternEMS.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] MV's not allowed to participate in the Veteran's Day
events locally

> I think it would be a hoot to show the
> public the real fun and history of Military Vehicles. Isn't freedom what
> the real heroes of WWII fought for? (Not these wannabes who play dress
> up and steal others glory, while claiming to be "educating" the public).

I missed much of this thread so it's possible I'm taking these comments
out-of-context, but I've been to hundreds of events with HMVs and their
owners wearing appropriate uniforms, and find that the combination invites
more interaction with the public than the display of the vehicles alone.
I've seen quite a number of vets with their sons and grandsons walking up to
so-and-so and saying things like "God! This is just what we wore in the
Scheldt estuary, and it looks every bit as itchy as I remember it!", and it
frequently means the vet will stick around and talk a bit, which is a
reaction you won't typically get whilst wearing a golf shirt and Nike
shorts.

I know a ton of people who play Mr. Dress Up for the benefit of the public
while their vehicles are on display, and I've yet to meet a single "wannabe"
in that context in 20 years of hobby-ing. One such recent event last
November in Maple Ridge, B.C. was a runaway success *primarily* because the
vehicles and their owners as well as fellow collectors dressed up to match
their displays, and made 'dead' history come alive for The Great Unwashed.
I won't be pissing all over that anytime soon. Nobody should.