Re: [MV] How to spot frauds on eBay

From: Mil-Veh Co. (milveh@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 09:29:55 PDT

--- Mark W <mnm3693234@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I know some of the basic wording that some use to
> scam people out of money, but what kind of things do
you look for when you find ebay frauds?

> Thanks
> mark

REPLY:

1. Check the email address that may be in the body of
the ad verses the email address in the header created
by ebay, it should be the same, if not, red flag.

2. Seller is in Europe, item in US...big red flag.

3. Sounds too good to be true, usually is.

4. Seller wants a wire transfer, big, big red flag!

5. Photo of item looks flat, means its a pic of a
pic.

6. "Pre-approved bidders only" and it's in a more
costly highlighted ad, scammers love to establish an
email contact with you. They don't care about ad cost
either, afterall they hijacked the account.

7. Here's how they hijack accounts....Watch out for
any eBay letter wishing to verify your account or
password. Usually the letter links to a phoney eBay
site and requests you input your ebay information for
confirmation. Easy to detect as it never has eBay.com
in the address, just something similar. You wouldn't
think a person would fall for this, but thousands of
people do every day from eBay to Banc Credit Cards
pirates.

Last tip, most frauds I found were in classic cars or
big ticket items. They always had one of the above
going for them.