Re: [MV] [MVlist] Aberdeen trip experiments

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat May 21 2005 - 21:13:48 PDT

At 9:01 PM -0400 5/21/05, Bjorn Brandstedt wrote:

>Waste cooking oil will settle out after a few
>days and a clear oil will end up on top. A
>thicker "goo" will settle out below. So far I
>have only used the clear oil (about 90% is
>clear).

The bottom goo is glycerine, no? Useful for soap made by the Missus?

Seems like the auxiliary transfer tanks from
Northern Tool would be good to add to the Deuce
as a place to carry it.

>To make biodiesel, I use the filtered, clear
>waste cooking oil, methanol and sodium hydroxide
>(Red Devil drain cleaner).
>
>I prepared 1 gallon at a time, so it took a while.

This is the thing that seems to be the biggest
pain. The cooking part with the ethanol that is.
Do you do this in your yard or in the kitchen?

>1) Heat 1 gallon of the oil to about 120F
>2) Dissolve 4 tea spoons of lye (Red Devil) into
>1,000 ml of methanol. It takes about five
>minutes with constant stirring. The result is
>"methoxide".

Don't breathe this while it's cooking eh?

>3) Pour the methoxide into the oil and stir. I
>used a large plastic jug, shook it up real good
>and poured it into a large plastic (transparent)
>storage container. This particular container
>holds about 10 gallons and after a day or so,
>the glyzerine will fall out and form a 1 inch
>darker layer on the bottom.
>The amber colored substance on top is the biodiesel.
>It will still contain some methanol and lye and
>should be "washed". For this run, I didn't wash
>it, but used it straight from the plastic tub
>without disturbing the glyzerine layer.

The washing seems like a pain as well. Though
looking around, it seems that using a fish tank
air pump with your water as an agitation method
seems to be spoken of well.

>The unwashed biodiesel has a pH value of about
>8.0. When washed it should be near 7.0 (neutral).

Do you have any worries about your fuel lines? Is any of it natural rubber?

>I get the methanol from a fellow who races
>go-carts ( I guess it's the fuel). I pay
>$2.50/gallon.
>A fuel de-icer with the brand name "Heet"
>contains almost pure methanol and can be used,
>but it will get expensive.
>The exiting part is that straight cooking oil
>can be used mixed with diesel or kerosene as
>long as the weather stays warm. Perfect for
>Florida! No processing except for filtering.

Excluding work, what do you think your costs are?

>The restaurant buys the cooking oil in 35 lb
>plastic containers with cardboard "jackets",
>which makes it possible to stack the jugs. I
>store the waste cooking oil in these type
>containers since they are available at the
>recycling center and also from the restaurant.
>When I pick up the oil, I bring a steel trash
>can for the still hot oil.

Do they charge you for it or do they normally get charged to dispose of it?

>Next I'll try a mix of biodiesel and cooking oil (no petro diesel).

I've read that this'll cause a bit of coking in
the engine (the glycerine and such).

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)