Re: [MV] MV's not allowed to participate in the Veteran's Day

From: multifuelreo@aol.com
Date: Sat May 21 2005 - 21:22:40 PDT

Mike,
I know you too, from Camp Atterbury, and speaking with you on the
phone. And as anyone who has read the 6-8 page story on that event
that I did can attest - and I think you have seen it - it is apparent
that I have the greatest respect for reenacting, and living history.

I have a closet full of uniforms and web gear as well......and I have
organized my share of convoys and rallies, and know full well how much
work goes into these things.

I think that living history is a wonderful educational tool....in the
proper setting. I think that a tactical event like Atterbury can be a
lot of fun, and that a "public demonstration" like the events at Ft.
Knox....which I have also often written about can be both fun (and a
lot of work for the participants), and educational for the spectators.

I, however, think that the sponsors of any event.....be it a Veteran's
Day Parade, a TSG battle, or Tim's Wine Country tour, have the right to
run it any way that they see fit.

In 03, Tim told me not to come in my vehicle....I didn't get on this
list and complain...I didn't write an editiorial about it....I didn't
talk bad about it to any of the people that I know who through the
years have participated in it...people that are friends and
acquaintances of mine, nor total strangers.....including people you and
I both know.....ask around, there is no one who will tell you other
wise. Perry Locke, Jon Shoop, Ron Grasso, Steve Lee Smith, Paul
Harless to name but a few.

There are, however, two issues at play. First, Tim got on this list
and complained about being excluded from an event by the
organizers...his initial complaint wasn''t about job threats or
possible misuse of city assets...those are legitimate complaints, and I
will steadfastly say such things are wrong....but his initial complaint
about exclusion, strikes me as the proverbial "pot calling kettle
black".

Secondly, the participation of reenactors in a Veteran's Day parade. I
think that decision should be left up to the parade sponsors. Tim, as
a veteran/active duty member of the military, should certainly be asked
to participate in this parade in his issue uniform....or in civvies.
However, regardless of his intentions, I suspect that the sponsors, and
many of the public, would perceive that in a parade setting, reenactors
either are posing as veterans (even though that would not be the
reenactor's intention), or are "kids dressed up playing army" - either
of which would distract attention from the ACTUAL veterans being
honored.

If such a parade was opened up to reenactors, what would prevent me
 from dressing as a Vet from Iraqi Freedom and parading (I'm the right
age group).....I could put on my Vietnam era gear and some might even
think I was a vet of that. Would Tim, IIRC a Gulf War Vet, feel good
about me participating in the parade reenacting as a Gulf War
soldier......how would the spectators tell the difference?

To a certain extent, many well-intentioned reenactors bring this on
themselves.....I have been around a lot of guys on both sides of this
(probably not as many as you Mike).....there are those at public
displays who say things such as "I am portraying a platoon Sergeant of
the First Infantry Division in the spring of 1944," and proceed to tell
about this persons duties and gear. Then there are others who say "I
am Sergeant Smith with the First Infantry Division......", and are so
into character, and forceful with their presentation that the
uninitiated leave thinking that today's army wears khaki and carries a
Garand.

In a parade setting, the latter is essentially the only face that is
presented, baring a huge banner fluttering on the side of a CCKW loaded
with reenactors....saying these guys are in fact reenactors....and all
too often the reenacting unit name doesn't mention reenactors...so even
then the sign would read "B Company, 1st Infantry Division" even though
it is a reenacting unit.

As an aside, and having nothing whatsoever to do with Tim's event, I do
feel it is wrong for a group that bills itself as an international
organization dedicated to the preservation of military vehicles sponsor
any event to which all members and their military vehicles are not
welcome, regardless of era or nationality.

Regards,
David DoyleTo unsubscribe, send e-mail to: <mil-veh-off@mil-veh.org>
<mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>