Re: [MV] Normal Road speeds for 2.5

From: Mil-Veh Co. (milveh@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 12:37:41 PDT

Speaking only for the 2.5 ton and based on my driving
experience. With or without turbo it makes very
little difference in power, since the turbo mostly
just was to clean up exhaust smoke and it does that
nicely.

The real world speed varies more according to tyre
configuration, than turbo.

Example: If you are running super singles, then the
maxium safe speed is right about 62 mph (based on safe
RPM's) and again that is from first hand experience in
a good rebuilt truck with a new engine, new turbo, new
tranny and new tyres. I could get 65, but for that
little bit extra it's pushing the limits of the engine
too much. Most trucks are not so new so, I suggest
that the max speed with "super singles" is probably
anywhere from 2-6 mph less depending on the wear and
tear. The bigger singles are always going to be
faster than duals unless somebody has messed with the
engine.

If you are running duals with NDT's, then the maximum
safe speed (for reasonable engine life) is closer to
52-55 mph. However, just a sure as I've said that
there's always somebody out here chomping at the bit
wanting to tell us, "I run my deuce with deuce with
duels all day long at 65 mph and I never had no
problems!" And in that case I say, goodie for you!
You got that 1 in 10,000 miracle truck, but for those
of us with an average truck in average shape the
average speed is a little less. However, ours will
probably be running long after you send your
connecting rods thru the block trying to make it do 68
mph downhill.