Re: [MV] What are Normal Road speeds for 2.5 & 5 ton

From: Dave J (sd0044@gwtc.net)
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 13:20:44 PDT

Over the road speeds ???

When I was in a high mobility TAC unit (71st Tactical Air Control Flight)
we would convoy our M35A(?) 5 ton wrecker, a bunch of M38A2 deuce and a
halves (some pulling radar and radio vans on XM-720 mobilizers), our one
M-715 with a AN/TRC-97 microwave system filling most of its bed (the system
was designed to be able to fit an M-37) and our two M-151s with trailers at
a steady 55 MPH all day long. No problems except with the 38A2s pulling the
AN/TPS-44 radar van -- that I drove and the one pulling the -53 radio van
that followed me -- when the hills got a bit steep Then we would lug down
to 45-50 MPH. Of course in addition to the vans I also had our radar
antenna package slid into the box on the truck (filled the box) and the comm
guy was carrying the cable package (a lot of heavy interconnect cable) in
his truck, again filling the box.

Dave J USAF Ret.