Re: [MV] Aervoe Paint - Keeping fingers crossed....

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 08:39:24 PDT

Just a general note on the 'pink' thing: I bought a couple of gallons of
the Aervoe version of the 24087 (987A, I think) to paint the M715 at work
because I thought that while Gillespie's paint is uniformly wonderful on
everything I've done, I think the colour of their 24087 is off a fair bit.
Anyway, while stirring up the Aervoe right in the can, I couldn't help but
notice pink 'tails' around the stir-stick as I stirred, and immediately
recalled the conversations I've read here over the years with regard to
Aervoe's 'pink' rep.

That said, I have an M220 shop van that was painted (badly) about 4 yrs ago
with Aervoe's 24087 variant and a couple of other vehicles as well. They've
sat out in the sunlight and weather ever since and to my eyes don't exhibit
any 'pinkness' whatsoever. The M715 also sits outside (but under a carport)
and has for six months, and it's still every bit as OD and semi-gloss as the
day it was painted.

I don't know whether the thinner makes a difference or not (as has been
suggested), but *most* of the time I'm using Medium Enamel Reducer from the
auto paint place unless I need something quickly and handily, in which case
it tends to be Lacquer Thinner. I'm just about certain all the 24087
vehicles at work were done with Enamel Reducer though.

(I've had other problems with Lacquer Thinner so I tend only to use it as a
last resort now. The other paint outfit in town also supplies what's
labelled "Aromatic Thinner" when I use their mix-to-order Industrial Enamel
paints. Pretty sure it's just Xylene, but I'll have to have a look next
time.)