Re: [MV] My recent run in with the Commercial Vehicle Police - Indiana

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 12:12:56 PDT

At 1:36 PM -0500 6/3/05, MV wrote:
>Yep, you are right. But I've got a bonafide corporation and I'm dealing with other corporations and they want everything to look right. Also I think I would have had a hard time passing my rig for a "personal vehicle". It's 66 feet long end to end and that's a big personal rig!

Actually, if you wanted to spend the money, you could do so with such a trailer for racing. You could not run sponsorship on the rig, drive up and dump two cars you and your son would race and even have a bunch of teams. Not commercial even if you win prize money, until.....you get sponsorship. Then it's commercial.

>I think I can get by with that a lot easier with my M51 dump truck than this rig. Plus if I keep everything commercial, my commercial liability insurance is working and if someone drops something while loading the truck, etc. I know I'm covered. Otherwise?? Who knows.
>
>I probably could have gone with farm tags and setup a farm division of the company, but those trucks are supposidly limited to 150 miles from home base.

Bing bing. 150 mile limit.

>However from a commercial standpoint - the BS you have to put up with on a CMV makes me wonder whether it is worth it. It certainly costs a lot more than I had initially planned in both time and money. I've heard that independant truckers are dropping out and I can see why. For a one man show the legalities of trucking are pretty extreme with a lot of upfront costs.

Yeah. My father found that out too when he was stopped in his Isuzu NPR. It was under 26,000 lbs but he still needed a CDL for driving around georgia. He had Hazardous Materials on board....

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -