Re: [MV] My recent run in with the Commercial Vehicle Police - Indiana

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 12:15:41 PDT

At 1:42 PM -0500 6/3/05, MV wrote:
>That is true. I have seen "not for hire" on trucks and also "private carrier - not for hire". However at this point I don't see what either one would do for you. If you are a Private carrier or not for hire, but still commercial, you are still subject to the USDOT BS. Once you hit the magic 10,000 GVWR and you are commercial you are suppose to have USDOT numbers, DOT inspections, carry a medical card.

It probably works with some DOT cops, but not others. They probably start asking you questions and based on those questions, they try to decide if they can give you grief. Your game of 20 questions with the Female DOT cop kind of supports this too.

I suspect that if you have "not for hire" get pulled over and get asked about your business (A parts company) and you've got a bunch of car parts in the back of the truck, you're going to have trouble wiggling out. If however you work at say a computer company and you have a race car in back (or horses) or something, then you're going to be off the hook pretty quick.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -