Re: [MV] Oh NO!..DOT

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 21:13:14 PDT

Mike,

I will speak as to Texas driver's license law only (yours may be different or perhaps quite similar) my guess is it'll probably be similar.

The following might shed a new perspective on your state's law which you must read carefully..but when you are done with this you will understand the concept for TEXAS.

In our state, for a towed vehicle (or vehicles) to be counted towards the GCVWR gross combined vehicle weight rating of the total vehicle (power unit and towed unit), the towed vehicle(s) must exceed a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. There may be more than one towed vehicle and their GVWRs get added together.

To illustrate this... A hypothetical tractor or truck has a GVWR of 16,001 pounds, towing a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. The trailer doesn't exceed a GVWR of 10,000 pounds so I don't get to add it to the truck's GVWR...in this TEXAS case, No CDL is required because all I've got is 16,001 on the truck and the trailer doesn't count for anything as it hasn't reached the threshold GVWR of OVER 10,000 pounds.

But, here's another one for you...A hypothetical tractor or truck has a GVWR of 16,000 pounds, towing a trailer with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds. Trailer exceeds 10,000 pounds GVWR, so we add it to the power unit's GVWR of 16,000 pounds. 16,000 plus 10,001 equals a gross combined vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds and he needs a Texas Class A CDL.

Texas has administrative rules which cover other circumstances such as the absence of a determinable GVWR on vehicles. Suppose I have a guy who is handy and he builds himself a big honkin' trailer with no assigned GVWR. In this case (absence of GVWR) the rules state I am to use his registered trailer weight (this is my primary source) or actual weight (secondary source) for the purpose of determining CDL.

So, your best source of information on what YOU need in your area is your local driver's license office. Ask for their CDL handbook; the study guide for taking a CDL test. It will spell out the ins and outs of CDL in your state quite clearly.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
TJ
From: Mike <michael@tsixroads.com>